Search This Blog

Monday, June 10, 2019

Consciousness and a Man of Transcendence




Donald Malarkey's story caught my attention during the 75th anniversary of D Day a few days ago. The Oregonian newspaper here in Portland, Oregon did a nice piece of a few of the stories and remembrances of survivors. I took the time to read about these people before us, in a different America and their comrade in arms. I wanted to honor them for what they gave up for us then and now. 

What struck me different about TSGT Malarkey's story of service is what he was to later say about his time in the war. He, in essence, expresses the Wholeness in Being that we can demonstrate. How we transcend beyond the suffering and the pain and cruelty that humans can inflect on others and show our capacity of human endurance and resiliency. There are always sides in any conflict.There are no sides in Oneness. 

TSGT Donald Malarkey was just a regular Joe, from small town America, like so many others. He was awarded several medals during World War II. They include and are not limited to a Bronze star for heroic actions, Purple Heart, Presidential Unit Citation, Good Conduct Medal, Parachutist Badge with 2 jump stars, and the French Legion of Honor Medal for military merit.

His story of service was as a member of Easy Company, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne. Malarkey, age 21, was one of the legendary Band of Brothers who jumped behind enemy lines to destroy German artillery on D-Day, 1944.  His unit took part in the assault on BrĂ©court Manor. He was awarded a Bronze Star for his bravery that day. But it was a long slog for Easy Company. Marlarkey was a sergeant by the time they took part in the ill-fated Operation Market Garden in the Netherlands. They also fought in France, Belgium, and the Battle of the Bulge in December 1944, the last major German offensive.

Malarkey was haunted by memories of combat and the devastation of losing fellow soldiers and friends, his family members said. Author Stephen Ambrose’s “Band of Brothers” and the subsequent HBO series were cathartic for him, his family told AP.

“There is not a day that has passed since that I do not thank Adolf Hitler for allowing me to be associated with the most talented and inspiring group of men that I have ever known,” Marlarkey once said.

I was in tears. For him, being a shining example showing the rest of us what Grace is and the potential in Being. I am sorry I did not know him. He sold insurance after the war. He lived to age 96 and there probably was never a day he did not remember the men and their shared experiences.

I know of others like him who have graced us with where the wounded human, going beyond his emotions, reaches into its essence at core never forgetting his connection of something bigger. I see it demonstrated around me all the time in the people I share this work with, my life with. They are my neighbors and countrymen and others from other countries. Many are in our past and some not yet in form. Some I know, some I like, some have titles of distinction, some do not. Most are strangers to me. Some come as the other side. 

Giving in to pettiness and separateness, fear and loathing is easy. 

Challenging ourselves to go within and find Oneness is also easy when you appreciate Wholeness in this physical realm of contrast. Just a shift of focus. Just make the choice.

We each can be transcendent.   


Janet Barrett
Life in the Beyond/Journeys Into Enlightenment 
janetb@janetandbeyond.com 
www.janetandbeyond.com